Sunday, May 23, 2010

Wk 3 Reading Topic: The way things are


Especially in my current situation, accepting the way things are has been necessary. I could be like the story of the trip to Florida and be angry about weather, or in my case the loss of my job, especially when there are teachers in my building who have negative feedback on their evaluations and yet get to keep their jobs. There is even a teacher who sneaks cigarettes during the school day and sneaks off campus, leaving her kids unattended, yet she keeps her job. I could be very bitter and angry, reveling in the fact that my principal told me he is not sure how they will survive next year without their department chair. I am not a bitter person and sinking in the misery is not really in my nature.

As Zander says in chapter 7, I would be stuck, "unable to go on from there."


If I just accept, "presence without resistance: You are now free to turn to the question "What do we want to do from here?" (p. 101) And that is a question I have asked myself, and I answered myself, time to pack up and head back to New Hampshire. Maybe this is a new path for me to head to HS, maybe this is the kick I need to get to the College level. I will just need to accept that this is how things are, and change my expectations to fit my new surroundings.

2 comments:

  1. I think the hardest thing to find right now is administration that support their teachers. I have a hard time not looking at this negatively. I have my days when I would rather not bother with discipline. When I look for some sort of support I find that I feel like a sinking ship. It is hard not to become negative. It does make me look at the discipline in a different light when I have to be more creative in the way that I do things in my classroom.

    It is the end of our school year and I am having a really hard time staying focused on discipline. When you see the light at the end of the tunnel it is difficult to not go full force to the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elizabeth,
    I think that the whole idea of tenure and this current economic situation for teachers is a huge debate and an even greater issue. I do believe that the experiences you are currently living will equip you to deal with anything. I think that The Art of Possibility has been a great inspirational book for me to read at this stage of the Masters process. Looking at any situation and creating a framework for success and acceptance is a great concept. I love the example of the shoes. The one man that reported back that no one had shoes so it was a great opportunity to sell their shoes and the other man who reported back that they had no market whatsoever because they don't wear shoes. I want to be the person that sees the lack as a positive. I'm encouraged to read that you are also asking yourself how to make this an opportunity. I can't wait to hear what you decide to do next. :)

    ReplyDelete