Sunday, May 9, 2010

Wk 1 AR reflection


Life is turbulent, just when you think you have had all you can take, something new occurs to shake things up. As an educator I have tried every year of my ten years to shake things up and add new. The think about the AR that makes me thankful is that instead of just trying new things, I was forced to have more of a plan. It was still a process of trial and error, but this time I had a firm vision of where I wanted to go.

As this year has gone by I have been creating mad plans, pondering how in my district to add the changes and the concepts I want to add. My sciencylopedia plan, my weekly review blog, my students podcasts on concepts learned... all these things I wanted to add, but at my district, technology is shunned unless it is in the form of a powerpoint or video only. I struggled all year thinking about and hearing from my mother-in-law who uses all sorts of technology. Then the solution came in the form of economic cutbacks. MY district let go anyone who was hired at or after a certain date. Even though I am Department Chair, and I have 10 years of experience and have been in a leadership role, I have only been in this district for 2 years, tenure from another state does not count, so, I am without a job.

I was looking at this as a cruel joke and railed at the unfairness of the teachers with no classroom management and who hate students got to stay and I was out. Then I realized that maybe this was a sign and a gift. There will be so many cuts in funding next year that I would not have been able to afford. I also remembered that my happiest moments teaching have been in New Hampshire where I was treated with love and respect. So back home I go, taking my masters with me and being able to truly apply my new degree, rather than it just becoming a piece of paper, like it would if I tried to stay here in GA.

So thanks to my AR, I have true plans to implement and can prove my knowledge and abilities, which will help in getting that new job!

4 comments:

  1. WOW! I am so sorry that your district chose to do cutbacks by date. I am glad that you are looking at it as a possibility for a welcome change back to New Hampshire where they love and respect all that you do and all that you are. You are right! You will be able to try all those wonderful things that you learned this year and make your new degree live up to its potential. I'm here in California and we had an insane number of pink slipped teachers. I am grateful that our district chose to cut expenses in other places than teachers. We all donated our classroom budgets to the cause and many of us sought outside funding for pet projects and things that we'd like to keep going at our schools. Local organizations are also working to help us keep sports and music. We are all in this as a community and that makes me proud to work in Lincoln. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is really unfortunate that your district is letting go of someone who is willing to work hard and think outside of the box to get students actively involved in learning. We are learning in each course how valuable technology can be in learning, and yet so many districts deprive the students of the best available learning tools. Like your district, my district is making drastic cuts due to lack of money from the state. As a music teacher, I am holding onto my job for dear life! I too am in the tenure predicament, and despite having years of experience in-state, I started over three years ago to be where I am today. Although I do not necessarily agree with the idea of merit pay, I do think that tenure is a bit of an outdated notion, and if districts really want to do the best for their students, they should keep the teachers that are most effective (not necessarily the ones that have seniority).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liz,

    I am sorry to hear about your job. As a currently unemployed teacher myself I know how much it stinks. I really think that ‘they’ need to rethink the system. How is it fair that teachers who are inspiring and influential to students are let go and the burnt out teachers who are only buying time until retirement are still employed? To me that isn’t right. Schools should want to keep the teachers who are making a difference. The amount of years that a person has been at a school should not outweigh their teaching ability and the impact that they have on the students.

    I recently found out that the district I worked in last year cut three music teachers, so even if I had been offered a job, I would have had to leave. The principals can tell you what a wonderful job you are doing and the impact you have had, but if they won’t fight to keep you, do they really mean it? It all comes down to money and budgets and education should not be about that. Education should be about helping kids succeed and taking away quality teachers is not helping them succeed.

    I am glad that you are seeing the positive and I know you are going to find a great job because you are a great teacher. If you need any digital portfolio tips, let me know. :)
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've obviously spoken to the hearts of your classmates. I'm glad that you are using your energy and the year you've spent on AR to continue to contribute to make education better regardless of the inability of some to recognize the value you add to the conversation. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete